From: Ross Manges (ross.manges_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-25 12:28:06

> When running the executable under Rational Purify, it reports many FIM
> errors (Freeing Invalid Memory), and all of these are again due to the
> deletion of objects that were owned by a shared_ptr.
Is your program (the code that uses shared_ptrs) running in multiple
threads? I am seeing problems with my multithreaded code where the
use_count in the shared_ptrs is not accurate and causing all sorts of
problems. I'm even seeing core dump backtraces showing problems in the
scoped_lock where the shared_ptr use_count is getting updated. It appears
that there are a lot of restrictions on how shared_ptrs can be used in a
multithreaded program, and I may be breaking some of those restrictions as
it is easy to do so. In any case, let me know if you find a solution to
your FIM errors. I have a feeling I'm seeing symptoms of the same
problem.

Thanks.