From: Foster, Gareth (gareth.foster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-04 03:40:37

Hello all,

As a C++ developer, and a developer who is coming to appreciate the
usefulness of Boost, I think this is a great idea.

There isn't really a focal point on the web for C++ developers, at least not
in the sense that Java developers have in java.sun.com, Mono developers have
in go-mono.net, and as menitoned by somebody else, PHP developers have in
php.net. Boost certainly has enough clout to make this happen.

The idea of having the following C++/Boost oriented things on one site is
fantastic.

* blogs for people with influence over the development of the C++ standard
(think planet),
* blogs for heavy boost contributors (think planet),
* documentation for C++/Boost with user anotations +
* forum
* news section feat. latest compiler news and c++/boost developments etc

        + see recent work murray cumming did in adding anotation facilities
to gtkmm docs

I am sure there are more ideas, but that summarises the best of them I hope.

Useful links that might help get this off the ground.

- http://www.planetplanet.org/
// will help with blogs
- http://oswd.org
// will help with site design
- http://www.murrayc.com/temp/gtkmm_book_with_comments/html/ch13s02.php
// murray's annotation effort

It would be nice to get the site looking good right from the outset, whilst
a "Name Competition" might not merrit a two month wait, I think perhaps a
site design competition would. Look at sites like the Firefox page, a real
central C++/Boost resource looking that professional would have to be good
for C++ as a language.

I hope my comments and thoughts add something to the discussion.

All the best,

Gaz