From: Robert Zeh (razeh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-16 13:26:44

"Keith MacDonald" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Doug,
>
> Following up my previous message, I have run the tests with Boost 1.32.0 and
> can see what you mean about a drastic improvement. The full set of figures
> are:
>
> VC8.0 GOF Observer: 109
> VC8.0 Signals 1.33.0: 6203
>
> VC7.1 GOF Observer: 78
> VC7.1 Signals 1.32.0: 112109
>
> It's interesting that the Observer pattern is actually slower with VC 8.
>
> - Keith MacDonald
>
> "Doug Gregor" <dgregor_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> >
> > The performance of Signals has been drastically improved in 1.33.0 thanks
> > to a patch from Robert Zeh. It may still not be as quick as a specific
> > implementation of the Observer pattern, but it's much more reasonable now.
> >
> > Doug

It's nice to see that my patches had an impact!

I'm working on improvements (suggested by Doug Gregor) that replace
some boost::any usages with template classes. This should make the
library faster by removing some of the memory management it does.

Is your application openly available? I'm always looking for more benchmarks.

Robert Zeh