From: Brian Campbell (lambda_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-02 22:52:50

I'm trying to build boost (boost_1_31_0) as a dependency for monotone
<http://venge.net/monotone/> on Mac OS X 10.4 (tiger). I'm doing this
using gcc-3.3 because monotone doesn't work properly with gcc 4.
Following the instructions in monotone for how to build boost, it
tells me to do this:

$BJAM "-sBUILD=release <threading>single <optimization>speed <runtime-
link>static"

This failed on a few of the targets, with an error that crt0.o was
not found. This is probably because static linking of binaries is not
supported on Mac OS X:

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1118.html

So I tried removing the <runtime-link>static option, but then I
started getting errors about not being able to find certain symbols.
For some projects, it was complaining about not being able to find
_main. It also complained about not being able to find
__Z20init_unit_test_suiteiPPc in libboost_unit_test_framework, and
there may have been other errors too. Here's the error output for
some of these:

gcc-Link-action bin/boost/libs/thread/build/libboost_thread.dylib/gcc/
release/shared-linkable-true/libboost_thread-gcc-1_31.dylib
c++: unrecognized option `-shared'
ld: Undefined symbols:
_main

gcc-Link-action bin/boost/libs/test/build/
libboost_unit_test_framework.dylib/gcc/release/shared-linkable-true/
libboost_unit_test_framework-gcc-1_31.dylib
c++: unrecognized option `-shared'
ld: Undefined symbols:
__Z20init_unit_test_suiteiPPc

So, I'm wondering what I need to do to get boost to build on darwin.
Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks,
Brian