From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-24 18:22:00

I believe I can help.

Lets say you have downloaded boost to the dir:

C:\boost

now if you CD into that dir- you will get something like the following
files:

06/10/2005 10:50 AM <DIR> .
06/10/2005 10:50 AM <DIR> ..
05/26/2005 01:48 AM <DIR> bin
06/16/2005 02:27 PM <DIR> boost
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 499 boost-build.jam
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 675 boost.css
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 6,897 boost.png
02/21/2005 11:10 AM <DIR> CVS
02/18/2005 03:46 PM <DIR> doc
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 3,558 google_logo_40wht.png
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 49,603 index.htm
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 9,406 Jamfile
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 882 Jamfile.v2
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 450 Jamrules
05/26/2005 01:04 AM <DIR> libs
02/04/2005 04:09 PM 1,361 LICENSE_1_0.txt
02/18/2005 03:47 PM <DIR> more
02/18/2005 03:47 PM <DIR> people
(abbreviated)

Now using my example dirs- some important dirs to be aware of:

C:\boost\boost - the libraries themselves are here
C:\boost\libs - look here for the documentation (html) files for a
given library

since the libs are in c:\boost you need to do the following:

visual studio-
(menu) view-solution explorer

then in the solution explorer, right click on the project name
select "Properties" from the menu

click on the "C\C++" select on the left
click on the "General" item below this

on the right you will see "Additional Include Directories"
type in (in our case above) C:\boost

the cute thing about this is (recall there is a boost dir below
C:\boost) you can now do a #include with the sub dir of boost in the
string

i.e.

#include <boost/smart_ptr.hpp>

You can TEST if the "Additional Included Directories" setting is
CORRECT- by doing the following:

(set the setting as described above)

move your cursor over

#include <boost/smart_ptr.hpp>

right click- on that menu select "Open Document <boost/smart_ptr.hpp>"

IF that succeeds, then you have setup the #include directories
correctly-
if not then you put the wrong value in "Additional Included Directories"

HOPE THAT HELPS

Brian :)

documentation