From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-25 06:56:15

Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Mart marvin wrote:
>> Now that's silly. When did ".h" stop being good enough!? Well it did
>> compile so I can't complain too hard...but why change it to hpp? I
>> can understand modern C++ has benefits over the older like that when
>> memory allocation fails it throws a bad_alloc, but changing things like
>> "h" to "hpp" is just changing for the sake of change.
>
> Without looking at the content... How would you tell the difference
> between a C language header and C++ language header?

Can your search tools tell? being able to wildcard with *.[ch]pp (or
just *pp as I normally do) can be a real advantage when you want to
search through the C++ source in your project. That was the rationale
that Nico Jossuttis gave when Boost was started in 1998 and we have
stuck with it ever since.

Just so you know, this isn't a Boost thing. The convention is in
common use in the C++ community.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting