From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-21 18:05:55

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>>Rene Rivera wrote:

>>>bjam "-sBUILD=<define>BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK=1"
>>>
>>>And add any other arguments you wish :-)
>>

>>Thanks ! Where in the Boost Build documentation is the BUILD variable and its
>>possible parameters described ?
>

> That one is first mentioned here:
>
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html#step5
>
> It points you to the Boost.Build.v1 documentation (yes it's very sparse
> documentation). But the documentation as to what the different
> possibilities for the BUILD request is in the source of BBv1.
> Specifically all the standard, some toolset have additional ones,
> settings (features) are mentioned at:
>
> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/build_system.htm#feature_description
>
> Which has a reference to:
>
> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/features.jam

While I appreciate the information I find the state of the documentation
regarding my question pretty ridiculous. You point me to three different links
and in none of them is my simple question answered. The first link does not
mention BUILD, the second link mentions what a feature is without mentioning
BUILD, and the last link point me to a .jam file which supposedly I must
understand just to determine how BUILD is used and even there I have no idea
where to look.

Surely BUILD needs to be documented somewhere in the Boost Build system
documentation so that end-users would know how to use it to control the build of
a library, or libraries, when using bjam. Or am I completely missing something
which I myself do not understand, which may be something like "in order to
understand how Boost build works in order to control a build effectively, one
must study bjam, bjam files, and know how to read those files in order to
understand how to use the bjam command line to control a build."

If this is indeed the case, which may be the decision of Boost build developers,
consider that it might be a very steep learning curve for those wishing to build
boost libraries and simply use the bjam command line to manipulate the build. I
personally think it should be easier for the end-user using bjam to build
libraries and that the Boost build documentation should actually document what
features are available and how they can be used from the command line without
requiring the end user to understand the writing of .jam files and the internals
of how Boost build works. But I am willing to be wrong about that.