From: Serge Skorokhodov (serge.skorokhodov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-14 07:55:36

John Maddock wrote:
>> I attempted to use boost built with system layout (vc-7_1)
>> to simplify deployment etc. Unfortunately, my code failed to
>> link as the linker tried to link the date_time libraries
>> with TOOLS and version marks (I'm not sure about other
>> libraries as it was fatal enough:). Is this a known
>> limitation of auto linking? Is there a workaround? I haven't
>> search the documentation real thoroughly but no hints of how
>> to turn auto linking off...:(
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but what's "system layout" ?

bjam option --layout=[versioned|system] If 'system', the
libraries' names do not contain tool tag and version tag.

> As far as turning auto-linking off, just define
> BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB as a project wide define and rebuild.

I've tried this but it seemed not to work at least for
date_time:( I may be not insistent enough though..:)

> You can keep auto-linking but change the toolset name by
> defining BOOST_TOOLSET to the required name when building,
> however there is unfortunately a known bug in the usage of
> this (doesn't work if you have more than one auto-linked lib
> included in the same TU), it's trivial to fix, but the issue
> wasn't spotted until 1.33 shipped :-(

The problem is that there's _no_ toolset tag in a library name in
'system' layout:( The idea was to have shorter'n'nicer
dll/library names...

--
Serge