From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-17 18:12:27

FYI Matthew Wilson gave a technique (in "Imperfect C++") for handling this,
by turning the mutex initialization into an integer initialization (that
doesn't have a problem with [multiple] simultaneous threads entering the
function)

It uses STLSoft's spin_mutex, and looks pretty much like what you have
already:

<code>
#include <platformstl/spin_mutex.hpp>
#include <stlsoft/lock_scope.hpp>
using platformstl::spin_mutex;
using stlsoft::lock_scope;

template<typename T>
boost::shared_ptr<T>
my_func()
{
// static boost::mutex m;
// boost::mutex::scoped_lock l(m);
   static int spin_count = 0; // No race condition initializing an
int
   spin_mutex mutex(&spin_count); // Build the mutex on top of the static
int
   lock_scope lock(mutex);

   static boost::shared_ptr<T> p(new T);
   return p;
}
</code>

This assumes, of course, you can (and are willing to) use STLSoft...

HTH,
Pablo