From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-20 09:05:13

----Original Message----
From: David Abrahams [mailto:dave_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 20 September 2005 12:59
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Cc: jamboost_at_[hidden]; boost-users_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Scons users?

> Kevin Wheatley <hxpro_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> On the Boost.Build list we were just discussing the fact that some
>>> people otherwise inclined towards Boost have chosen Scons over
>>> Boost.Build. It would be useful for us to understand some of the
>>> reasons why, if some of you wouldn't mind letting us know. No
>>> flames, please!
>>
>> not a flame, but some test results (Noel Llopis' Blog) shows a few
>> interesting results:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/7fdns (www.gamesfromwithin.com)
>>
>> These are updated from previously.
>
> Wow, harsh. The numbers aside, I think his commentary is rather
> flame-ish.

Well, without the numbers, I agree. But the numbers do rather back him up
(except that BoostBuild does seem to be marginally quicker than Scons on
three out of four tests, whereas he describes it as "Slower even than
Scons!").

Are there any known optimization oportunities in BoostBuild?

Are the results an artifact of his test set up?

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]