From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-12 04:38:25

>> There are already several others (FlexiString, sgi's rope) and
>> several are already
>
> Non of them is standard, so no need to pay attention. Any *string*
> class that want conform string_algo interface needs to satisfy
> const_string one.

And back in the real world users use all kinds of propietory string types:
CString, UnicodeString,AnsiString, WideString, need I go on? Users *have*
to use these types to interact with their native GUI's and other class
libraries, having a string type neutral algorithm library allows them to
interact with all of these without copying data all the time. Oh and what
about memory mapped files, should we be able to support those as well?

And for those who think that in-place modification is the way to go: you do
realise that it's often *slower* than building a new string don't you?

John.