From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-12 12:58:10

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>> There are already several others (FlexiString, sgi's rope) and
>>> several are already
>>
>> Non of them is standard, so no need to pay attention. Any *string*
>> class that want conform string_algo interface needs to satisfy
>> const_string one.
>
> And back in the real world users use all kinds of propietory string types:
> CString, UnicodeString,AnsiString, WideString, need I go on? Users *have*
> to use these types to interact with their native GUI's and other class
> libraries, having a string type neutral algorithm library allows them to
> interact with all of these without copying data all the time. Oh and what
> about memory mapped files, should we be able to support those as well?

IMO all these non-standard string classes are beside the point. It's maybe
ok for Boost library to try to accommodate everything. But String Algorithms
as part of STL should define some specific concepts that are expected users
string to support and should be primarily oriented to work nicely with
standard string.

Gennadiy