From: Merrill Cornish (merrill.cornish_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-04 10:37:46

Where is the documentation of Boost Threads--not mutexes, threads?

All of the documentation files I can find that say "threads" in the file name are really about mutexes. A lot of different mutexes. Theories and rationales about mutexes. Many, many variations on mutexes, most with a small notation that this variation isn't supported yet.

OK, I understand about how to use mutexes to protect access by multiple threads to common variables, but I can't find any documentation--other than reading the source--on how to create, manipulate, and terminate any threads to use mutexes on.

While I'm not particularly opposed to reading the source, there are enough subtleties in using threads (see the Boost treatise on mutexes) that I hesitate to go with Boost threads and will probably have to use pthreads-win32.

Merrill