From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-04 17:43:39

> 1. Start at http://www.boost.org/doc/html
> 2. Click on 12. Boost.Threads
> 3. Click on Header <boost/thread/thread.hpp> in the contents
> 4. Click on the "class thread;" link
>
> This seems pretty intuitive and perfectly acceptable to me.

I replied to Merrill's question because I recognised the difficulty of
finding this documentation as something that I had encountered, and
continue to encounter from time to time. I suspect that those of you
who have been using it for longer have got used to the way that it is
organised and do consider it intuitive, but that it not how it has
seemed to at least a couple of us "outsiders".

Once located the Boost documentation is always good and very often
excellent. This makes it a particular shame if it remains hidden.

The particular problems that I've encountered are:
- The "documentation" link on the front page at boost.org is in a
smaller font even than the body text, and is not obviously a link.
- The "automatic redirection failed" messages that appear all over the
place are disconcerting.
- The links to the actual class documentation, e.g. the "class thread;"
link in (4) above, are not obviously links.
- Links within the documentation often seem to be missing. For example,
on the "Chapter 12 Boost.Threads" page, after the "Introduction" heading
it looks as if a link is missing before the word "allows". Similarly
after the heading "Runtime libraries" something seems to be missing
between "using" and "must".

Cheers,

--Phil.