From: Max Motovilov (max_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-12 09:34:49

> disease. :) Nowadays, I think there are better ways than COM or CORBA for
> writing reusable components. (And, incidentally, those better ways don't
> involve making all languages a thin veneer over one runtime.)

No doubt about it, but with COM, it is often a matter of using EXISTING
components. Which is where Visual Basic used to have so much of a foothold,
and still has, as far as I can tell.

> I doubt this will ever change regardless of what books exist. I don't
believe
> [skipped]
> The same kind of environment typically doesn't exist in computer science.

But there's another difference too -- practicing industrial programmers
often stand to benefit from improving their skills and sometimes are even
pressured to do so :-) Good books are the #1 aid in this quest. I don't
think this situation is anywhere close to what you have for math or physics
(sorry, that's what I think about when I say "science" -- must be my own
background showing through) -- unless you are in research, you're not very
likely to need [to be current in] them so much in your work.

> Relevance to what, exactly?

To what is being done (and used) in the world at large. Much as I am
frustrated by the legacy of bad design decisions that the industry is doomed
to carry (and slowly replace with other bad design decisions, or so it
seems) I remember all too well the fate of Algol 68, Prolog, VAX/VMS -- to
name just a few.

...Max...