From: Rob Lemley (rclemley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-03 11:38:08

Väisänen Teemu wrote:
> I need Boost and lboost_thread to compile Open Diameter. When
> compiling Open Diameter, I get message
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_thread
>
> I can not find lboost_thread with slocate after compiling Boost 1.33.1,
> so presumable reason is that I haven't used bjam with right options.

The file that you'd be looking for would be "libboost_thread.a" or
"libboost_thread.so".

In the linux/unix ld command, the -l<library> tells the linker to look
for a file named lib<library>.a or lib<library>.so in a standard list of
directories. This list can be modified by giving ld the "-L<directory>"
option. Since you're building your own, you might need to use the
-L<directory> option to tell the linker where to look for
libboost_thread.{a,so}.

I successfully build with the pre-built packages on Debian testing and
stable, also with the RPMs on Red Hat Enterprise 3 and 4. I use the ld
option "-lboost_thread".

I'd recommend using the boost RPMs at first. Try building your own
boost later after you get it working and only if you need the bug fixes
or newer functionality.

If this doesn't get you going then you might want to give a little more
info such as the actual operating system, the complete ld command line
that you're using, etc...

-Rob