From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-08 14:32:08

Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_users_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > Please don't reply to digests.
> >
> > http://www.boost.org/more/discussion_policy.htm#quoting
>
> Which says:
> Do not reply to digests if you are a digest delivery subscriber.
> Your reply will not be properly threaded and will probably have the
> wrong subject line. Instead, you can reply through the GMane web
> interface.
>
> The GMane interface doesn't work for posting messages, I've tried
> it;

So have I; it works just fine. And if you instead use a newsreader to
read this list, you can post through the newsreader, which is much
more convenient than the GMane web interface. That's what I'm doing
now.

> the mailing list rejects messages from non-subscribers, including those
> that come via GMane.

That's why you have to subscribe before posting via GMane, as
described at http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm.

> There is a trade-off here:
>
> - On one hand, replying to digests means that threaded views using
> references: headers will not work properly. (There is no need for the
> subject line to be wrong, but it isn't difficult to forget to change it
> when replying.)
>
> - On the other hand, prohibiting digest subscribers (like me) from
> sending replies means that you won't hear from me again.

If you're a digest subscriber, you're authorized to post via GMane.

> You may or may not consider that a good thing. I do try to reply to
> questions on the rare occassions that someone even newer to Boost
> than me asks a question that I have an answer to, and I do so in the
> hope that this lets the more expert readers (Dave!) concentrate on
> more important things.
>
> I'd like to encourage a debate - which is considered more important,
> better threading or more contributions? If you don't want to hear
> from me again, that's fine, I'll unsubscribe until I next have a
> question of my own to ask.

I'd like to hear from you again, but I'd also like you to follow the
posting guidelines. I think we've provided ample ways to make it
convenient. If I'm wrong about that, I'd like to know what the
problem is.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting