From: Lonnie Princehouse (finite.automaton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-10 17:58:23

Hello, I'm trying to get boost-build up and running on Linux so that I
can build the Python bindings for Boost.Graph, and after a few hours
of fiddling around I'm thoroughly confused and frustrated. Please,
could someone who understands boost-build could tell me what I'm doing
wrong?

(Note: I added the boost-build.jam file, which points to the
installation directory of boost-build, and the project-root.jam which
is just two newlines, copied from the "hello" example.)

bash$ ls

Jamfile LICENSE_1_0.txt boost build project-root.jam src
Jamrules README boost-build.jam example python test

bash$ bjam

/usr/local/share/boost-build/build/project-roots.jam:368: in project-root
warning: rulename $(project-root).$(method) expands to empty string
Jamfile:13: in modules.load
/usr/local/share/boost-build/build/project.jam:255: in load-jamfile
/usr/local/share/boost-build/build/project.jam:67: in project.load
/usr/local/share/boost-build/build-system.jam:75: in load
/usr/local/share/boost-build/kernel/modules.jam:259: in import
/usr/local/share/boost-build/kernel/bootstrap.jam:120: in boost-build
/home/princelj/boost_graph/bgl-python-0.9/boost-build.jam:1: in module scope
Jamfile:19: in modules.load
rule subinclude unknown in module
Jamfile</home/princelj/boost_graph/bgl-python-0.9>.
/usr/local/share/boost-build/build/project.jam:255: in load-jamfile
/usr/local/share/boost-build/build/project.jam:67: in project.load
/usr/local/share/boost-build/build-system.jam:75: in load
/usr/local/share/boost-build/kernel/modules.jam:259: in import
/usr/local/share/boost-build/kernel/bootstrap.jam:120: in boost-build
/home/princelj/boost_graph/bgl-python-0.9/boost-build.jam:1: in module scope

The Jamfile that came with bgl-python looks like this:

# Copyright 2005 The Trustees of Indiana University.
# Use, modification and distribution is subject to the Boost Software
# License, Version 1.0. (See accompanying file LICENSE_1_0.txt or copy at
# http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)
# Authors: Douglas Gregor
# Andrew Lumsdaine
# This file builds the Python bindings for the Boost Graph Library and
# the Parallel BGL.
project-root ;
# Only build release-mode binaries, unless the user explicitly
# requests otherwise
BUILD ?= release ;
subinclude build ;
subinclude build/distributed ;

"subinclude" only exists in perforce-jam, not bjam, so I emerged
perforce jam and tried it with no more success:

$ jam
warning: unknown rule project-root
warning: unknown rule subinclude
warning: unknown rule subinclude
...found 7 target(s)...

Please help!

(This is using Gentoo Linux, although boost/bjam/boost-build were
installed from scratch and not using the ebuilds)