From: Drumheller, Michael (michael.drumheller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-11 13:18:17

This gmane entry
<<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.c++/9049/match=pyplusplus+m
ature>>
says, among other things, the following

"""If you can, use pyplusplus over pyste. I say that for ALL users of
pyste, pyplusplus is now mature enough to be useful as well as being
actively developed. It can also do quite a few tricks pyste cannot."""

If this is really the case, I think the Boost documentation needs to say
so. For example, the doc page
<<http://www.boost.org/libs/python/pyste/>> does not give any warning
that Pyste is essentially deprecated (which it apparently is, if the
above quote is true). Further, as far as I can tell there are no clues
at <<http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm#Inter-language>> indicating
that users might want to check out pyplusplus, whereas the official
Boost.Python page <<http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html>>
explicity directs users to Pyste.

The end result is that an innocent user who is new to integrating Python
and C++ (like, um, say, me) could reasonably come away with the
impression that the most state-of-the-art approach to use is
Boost.Python+Pyste.

As a side question, does anyone use Boost.Python *without* an automatic
code generator such as Pyste or Pyplusplus? It does not seem like a
practical thing to do--but maybe I'm missing something...?

Thank you.

Michael D.