From: Greg Buchholz (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-13 16:09:10

    Here's what will probably be a really easy question (hopefully it is
not too far off topic). I'm trying to get Boost installed on my
machine, but I haven't been able to get a working program yet. I
downloaded the "bjam" program and the source for the libraries.
Performing the 'bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install' as recommended by the
"Getting Started Guide" seemed to run smoothly. (and I can't find any
logs in the build directory which which would tell me differently).

  So next I tried to compile an example program from Regex...

    http://www.boost.org/libs/regex/example/snippets/credit_card_example.cpp

...this initially failed with a message complaining about
"boost/regex.hpp" not being found. So I added an additional include
search path...

    g++ -I /usr/local/include/boost-1_33_1/ credit_card_example.cpp

...this works fine until the linker gets invoked...

> /tmp/ccagNJn9.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN5boost11regex_matchIN9__gnu_cxx17__
> : undefined reference to `boost::re_detail::perl_matcher<__gnu_cxx::__
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

...etc. So it looks like it can't find the libraries to link against.
But my /usr/local/lib directory has all sorts of libboost* files,
including libboost_regex-gcc.so and friends. I've tried a number of
other g++ options including "-lboost", "-llibboost", "-llibboost_regex",
and "-llibboost_regex-gcc". Any hints on what I might try to get things
up and running? My system is Slackware Linux 9.1 and gcc 3.4.2.

Thanks,

Greg Buchholz