From: Noel Yap (noel.yap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-27 11:38:40

On 1/26/06, Rich Johnson <rjohnson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > For what it's worth, we use namespaces to do version management and
> > this works quite well for us. This technique may not work for you
> > but a brief description of it is in Stroustrup's D&E in section
> > 17.4.4 (Using Namespaces to Manage Releases). We've done a lot of
> > work in this area, just not sure if it's what you're interested in.
>
> Hmm...I'll have to take a look. Do you do use it with dynamically
> loaded modules--dlopen(), dlsym(), etc.?

I, too, was thinking of doing this. I was also thinking of doing this
to allow multiple versions of the same component to exist within the
same executable at the same time. The issues with this, though, are:
- how to deal with static duration objects
- performance and complexity issues with conversions among component versions

Noel