From: Michael Shapiro (mshapiro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-30 14:32:25

Dear Steve -

Glad to hear you are doing this. After many hours, I am still trying to get
started with Boost. I have been trying to use Boost serialization. I am
working on a linux box. I have followed download and installation
directions, rather carefully, I think. After trying unsuccessfully to
compile and link my own "Hello, Serialization" program, I downloaded and
tried the serialization demo. I have still not been able to link this. I
get copious errors complaining of undefined references. A typical one is

 undefined reference to
`boost::archive::basic_text_iprimitive<std::basic_istream<char,
std::char_traits<char> > >::basic_text_iprimitive(std::basic_istream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&, bool)'

I have found several people asking how to fix this problem on the Boost users'
group, but have not been able to find instructions anywhere that would solve
it.

As things now stand, I can't tell whether

a) My build is incorrect.
b) I am failing to set some environment variable.
c) I am failing to link some library or correctly set some compiler flag.

Okay, I have whined long enough. What would be helpful would be
a) Complete instructions for building Boost. (I worked from the getting
started page. It was only after much hacking around that I found another
page telling me I needed compiler_status and process_jam_log.
b) Instructions on how to tell is your build is complete and correct.
c) An example of how to compile and link the demo, either from the command
line or via a make file.

Hope this is helpful,
Michael Shapiro