From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-31 08:04:12

Paul Giaccone <paulg_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Toby Smith wrote:
>
>>> I'm giving a talk about getting started with Boost
>>> (https://www.cmpevents.com/SDw6/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=271893
>>> <https://www.cmpevents.com/SDw6/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=271893>) and I
>>> thought it would be a good idea to solicit input from those who have
>>> recently gone through the process. What do you wish someone had
>>> explained to you? With what did you need hand-holding? Based on this
>>> feedback I expect to make some improvements to the Boost website,
>>> also. Any information you can give me will be much appreciated.
>>>
>> Personally, my biggest problem with getting started with boost was
>> realizing that I should get started in the first place.
>
>> [snip]
>
> What the site needs, in my view, on the front page is some sort of
> material selling Boost. Why was Boost set up in the first place?
> Because, in some areas, C++ is deficient, is difficult to use or expects
> too much of the programmer. Boost helps by providing what is useful but
> missing and takes a lot of the work out of C++ programming.

Good to know. Unfortunately it's not much help with my talk, since
by the time people get there, they already know enough to spend 90
minutes with me looking into Boost.

On second thought, I take it back. I do need to say something about
why people should care about Boost if I want to keep them in the room,
and I plan to.

> Essentially, Boost needs to sell itself as something that no C++
> programmer would want to be without. Think how the adman would write
> it: "C++ getting you down? Spending hours tracking down that memory
> leak? Then try Boost! It will change your life!" Well, maybe not, but
> something along these lines would certainly go a long way to showing why
> anyone should be using Boost. At the moment, the front page tells me is
> that the libraries are free, portable, peer-reviewed and work well with
> the C++ standard library, but that doesn't tell me why it is to anyone's
> advantage to use them.

Paul, if you can write some copy that works and generally receives a
positive consensus from the Boost developers, I'm sure we'd use it.
We're in the midst of a site redesign right now, and the time is ripe
for new content.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting