From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-25 07:00:03

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" wrote
>> "Andy Little" writes
>>
>>> "David Abrahams" wrote

>>> What can I say? I acknowledge that mpl is a monumental piece of work .
>>> Wonderful... but far from perfect.
>>
>> I don't think the fact that it's imperfect gives you the right to
>> label any arbitrary design decision as sloppy.
>
> I dont follow? "any arbitrary decision"?

Yes, in this case the particular design decision that

  transform<some_template< ... > >::type

may not always be a specialization of some_template.

>> You seem to have no justification at all for calling the behavior
>> mentioned above "sloppy," notwithstanding that it reminds you of
>> another behavior that you dislike.
>
> The behaviour of having a return type defined as a concept rather
> than a type in this case is unnecessarily imprecise.

You haven't proven that about transform, which is the case in
question.

> In practise (Based on my experience in pqs physical quantities
> library) it causes an explosion of arbitrary types all meaning the
> same thing. This in turn leads to slow compile times and overuse of
> compiler resources and with the fatal effect in some cases, that the
> compiler cannot cope resulting in a failed compilation.

> An alternative suggestion is to explicitly specify what seems to be
> the actual behaviour of arithmetic operations on int_'s, long's etc
> in the documentation.

Stop. The statement in question is about transform, not about int_'s,
long_'s, etc. You condemned Aleksey's design decision about the
result of transform and have repeatedly claimed that it is unnecessary
and could easily be done better. Please demonstrate, or retract your
claim.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting