From: Calderon Hector (hhcalderon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-05 01:20:18

It seems to me that you just implied the answer. The
control access would be class whose constructor takes
a path. It would throw if the path doesn't resolve to
an existent file or directory. The class would have
some getter functions that tell you the state of the
file/directory, and some setter functions that _try_
to set the permissions for the file/directory. If they
cannot change the access controls, because the
granularity is wrong, or the process has not enough
priviledges, or just because, then they would fail
silently leaving the burden of checking that the
access has been effectively changed to the user. The
user would check by using the getter functions.

This way, operative systems with less habilities do
not hamper the development in those more capable
systems.

Again, the key is that the setter functions should
only attempt the changes.

++Hector C.

--- Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl_at_[hidden]>