From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-04 05:25:57

Calderon Hector wrote:

>I doesn't have to support every operative system out
>there. Can it be done to support the major operative
>systems at least?

Still not easily. Windows and Unix have quite different permission
systems: Windows uses access control lists, which support fine-grained
control of who is able to access which files. Unix uses user/group/world
permissions, which are far less fine-grained, with some *nices in some
configurations supporting POSIX ACLs too. (For example, this is a
compile flag that must be enabled for the file systems in the Linux kernel.)

Finding a common interface for even these two is therefore very
difficult. I'm sure though that there would be interest in any ideas you
might have.

Sebastian Redl