From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-14 23:52:39

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> I attempted to use the minimal verision of boost test. In order to
>> do this I replaced
>> occurencs of
>>
>> #include <boost/test/exec_monitor.hpp>
>> with
>> #include <boost/test/minimal.hpp>
>
> Is there any particular reasons why you want to do this? My general
> recommendation: unless there is a reason stick with UTF.

My understanding is that UTF will no longer support all the platforms
I want to run tests on. It seemed that the minimal testing
environment would be sufficient for my purposes so I had hoped
that it would support a wider variety of platforms.

>> This generates a few problems.
>>
>> a) In the tests which use the serialization DLL, It seems that
>> references are being made to symbols in the library. Here is the
>> output from the link. I can't figure out why this is.
>
> I don't think you could do this. My guess is that you define
> BOOST_DYN_LINK that will cause dynamic version of execution monitor
> sumbols to be compiled.

I do define BOOST_DYN_LINK. But I don't think that should trigger
auto-linking from exec_monitor or utf library. I had a similar problem in
the serialization library whereby simple inclusion of a header triggered
auto-link even though functions weren't called - it was an oversight that
turned out to be non-trivial to fix.

> And minimal test facility isn't cut for that.

So it would seem.

>> b) At least a few "test tools" macros aren't present
>> BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL and BOOST_CHECK_MESSAGE among themRobert Ramey
>
> Actually 99% of them is absent. And only 3 are present. But that was
> your choice, isn't it?

My mistake. I misread "In addition it defines several simple test tools
that behave similarly to ones defined in Test Tools."
to mean it supported tools similar to those defined in Test Tools. As it
turns out, it seems I'm
only using relatively few of the test tools.