From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-18 02:59:38

Hi James,

<james.jones_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I may just be showing my ignorance here, but how do people feel about
> Xerces? Especially given that it's written in C++.

Here is what I know about Xerces-C++ from experience:

 - Out of all mentioned parsers (expat, libxml2, tinyxml) it is the only
   validating parser that supports both DTD and XML Schema. I think libxml2
   supports only DTD and the other two do not support any validation.

 - Fairly complete support for advanced XML features, e.g., namespaces,
   entity references, CDATA, etc.

 - Extensive support for character encodings.

 - Supports DOM and SAX in one package.

 - C++ API. It is sometimes quite ugly, though.

 - Fairly portable.

> (Note: I'm trying to install Xerces now on Solaris, and it isn't easy.)

I didn't find the installation any more difficult than say... boost ;-).

hth,
-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov