From: Paul Baxter (pauljbaxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-24 11:02:40

From: "James Hughes" <JHughes_at_[hidden]>
> My pet one is simple loading and saving of configuration information in
> XML.
> Which library should/can I use for that? Serialisation? Or is there a
> better
> option? Or is there a boost lib in the wings perhaps aimed at that
> particular task?

I'm assuming you are not following the current raging debate on the boost
developers list, then. Your criterion is 'simple' meaning simple to use, I
take it....

Currently being reviewed is just such a library, property_tree.

It solves this particular constrained problem relatively simply but isn't to
everyone's taste in design and implementation.

The current debate has an element of 'purist vs pragmatist' programming.

A 'simple' configuration file library *could* have multiple layers and
components to decouple many different elements of design. In becoming more
useful and extensible as separate components with clearly defined roles, it
may perhaps be seen as less easy to use for this one role.

That said, good motivating examples in documentation *can* make a seemingly
complex collection of interacting classes seem just as simple as a dedicated
'property tree' as currently proposed.

Sit down, relax and read the many current threads on the developer list or
just go to the boost vault and download property_tree rev 5, then run for
cover.

> Another is Boost::graph - I see lots of questions about it on the list,
> but
> what real world problems does it solve?

On a more serious note, I completely agree (in general). A few more
motivating examples of problems solved would benefit both existing and
potential new users.