From: Lynn Allan (l_d_allan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-25 09:55:52

John Krajewski wrote:
> I'm new to generic programming and finding the various concepts used
> in Boost quite confusing (named parameters, property maps, etc). Is
> there general documentation for the programming methods used in
> Boost? Perhaps a good book to buy?

Documentation is a HUGE challenge .... (pgo ... sorry)

Our small city has an excellent public library that encourages patron
requests. My experience is that the reference librarians aren't
particularly computer literate (outside of their field of getting
answers). They may very well welcome patron requests for very
specialized technical books (but takes a while).

The library tends to only approve recent publications ... (very
reasonable) .... so I use "ILL - interlibrary loan" for older classics
like Friedl's 1997 "Mastering Regular Expressions" ... if the shipping
expenses won't be exorbinant.

Our library now has these books because of my patron requests (and
which I have in front of me):
Karlsson, "Beyond the C++ Standard Library"
Watts, "Beginning Regular Expressions"

(but the libertarian in me is defensive about my pragmatic frugality
<g>)