From: Brian Budge (brian.budge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-08 14:23:20

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Compile options are like so:
g++ -O3 -msse -mfpmath=sse

I tried the metaprogramming technique (which is pretty nifty :) ), and
got interesting results.

Basically, it made my += operator run twice as SLOW, while making my +
operator run twice as FAST.

I have a feeling that this is all due to the different optimizations
that gcc is doing at multiple stages of compilation. For example, it
may be doing autovectorization of the simple loop case of +=, which it
can't figure out with the metaprogramming technique. I'm still
stumped as to why I'm roughly an order of magnitude slower with + than
with +=.

Any more insights?

Thanks again for the ideas so far!
  Brian