From: Greg Link (link_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-08 14:48:07

Well, have you considered certainty of memory aliasing? In
particular, gcc supports the restrict keyword, (e.g. double
*__restrict__ c ) indicating that the memory spaces pointed to by c
will never be accessed by anything /but/ c, allowing it to make load-
store and register usage optimizations it couldn't otherwise. In
particular, it's 100% certain in the manually indexed case that a[0]
will never ever refer to b[1]. Then again, it can't be as sure in the
looped version.

Just a thought, that may or may not pan out. All it takes to try is
a quick addition of __restrict__ however, so it's not a tough test.

- Greg Link
        Penn State University
        York College of Pennsylvania