From: Stuart Dootson (stuart.dootson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-30 04:53:51

On 5/30/06, Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> These settings are not per-project in VS, at least not typically (I'm
> not sure whether per-project include paths are even possible). Neither
> do they hurt, in particular not with Boost, where all headers are in a
> subdirectory. On the other hand, you _have_ to add the include and
> library paths, or else hard-code the full path to the Boost includes in
> the include file names. Nobody does that.
>
> Sebastian Redl

There are per-project include paths in VC++ - they're under the
property 'Additional Include Directories' and are added using the -I
option of cl.

That's the mechanism by which I add third-party library paths to VC++
projects - although not hardcoded - I define a whole load of
environment variables. I'm using VC7.1 - I use Solution Build
Environment add-in
(http://www.workspacewhiz.com/OtherAddins.html#SolutionBuildEnvironment)
to define them, but in VC8.0 there is a built in mechanism (define a
property sheet using the property manger, define the environment
variables in the User Macros option) that can be used for that
purpose.

Why prefer per-project settings, I hear you cry? Well, for older
projects that used older versions of Boost that I really don't want to
upgrade! The last time I did that (1.30.0 to 1.32.0, I think),
upgrading my use of the Boost.Iterator libraries was a bit of a pain.

Oh yeah - there's also per-project library path settings as well -
they obviously need to be set for Boost libraries needing linking.

Stuart Dootson