From: Salim Fadhley (salimfadhley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-10 22:34:00

I'm an experienced python developer, but unfortunately a ten-years out
of practice C++ developer. For a future project I was hoping to play
with Boost.python as a means of speeding up some calculations that were
very tedious in python.

For starters I wanted to get the "hello.cpp" demo compiling, but I am
failing almost at step one.

For starters in this file I am supposed to set the BOOST_ROOT:
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/example/tutorial/Jamrules

However I am not 100% sure that the operating system (Gentoo Linux) even
installed the files in the right area. Is there a particular file that
is allways going to be in the "BOOST ROOT", that way I will know for
certain what to run.

Next I am supposed to set up some environment variables. The
instructions provided are for Windows only and say:

" Make sure that the environment is set so that we can invoke the C++
compiler. With MSVC, that would mean running the Vcvars32.bat batch
file. For instance:"

Is there a Linux equivalent?

Next I am told to use "bjam" to do the actual build. The instructions
are once again very windows-centric:

"bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1"

What might be the corresponding syntax for users of GNU C++?

Thanks!

Sal