From: Roman Neuhauser (neuhauser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-11 08:02:17

# salimfadhley_at_[hidden] / 2006-06-11 03:34:00 +0100:
> I'm an experienced python developer, but unfortunately a ten-years out
> of practice C++ developer. For a future project I was hoping to play
> with Boost.python as a means of speeding up some calculations that were
> very tedious in python.
>
> For starters I wanted to get the "hello.cpp" demo compiling, but I am
> failing almost at step one.
>
> For starters in this file I am supposed to set the BOOST_ROOT:
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/example/tutorial/Jamrules
>
> However I am not 100% sure that the operating system (Gentoo Linux) even
> installed the files in the right area. Is there a particular file that
> is allways going to be in the "BOOST ROOT", that way I will know for
> certain what to run.
>
> Next I am supposed to set up some environment variables. The
> instructions provided are for Windows only and say:

    They're OS-specific notes, you have the functionality "for free"
    on Linux, so there's no advice.

> " Make sure that the environment is set so that we can invoke the C++
> compiler. With MSVC, that would mean running the Vcvars32.bat batch
> file. For instance:"
>
> Is there a Linux equivalent?

    No, you should be set "by default".

> Next I am told to use "bjam" to do the actual build. The instructions
> are once again very windows-centric:
>
> "bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1"
>
> What might be the corresponding syntax for users of GNU C++?

    Probably "bjam -sTOOLS=gcc", or "bjam -sTOOLS=gcc-stlport".

    http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html could use
    some improvements.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.