From: Pierre THIERRY (nowhere.man_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-18 10:56:39

Le Sun, 18 Jun 2006 05:31:53 -0400, Edward Diener a écrit :
> What Dave suggested is standard information for anyone using a
> debugger in C++. Putting that in the Boost documentation is
> unnecessary.

Without using aligned storage, I do not see why anyone would have to do
such a cast to debug data structures... So it doesn't seem to me to be
standard in any way for C++.

If I write, say, a linked list, I just ask my debugger to show me what
object a pointer in my link object points to. As it is clear in the
debug symbols that it is also a link, I see all it's members. And so on,
and I can browse the contents of my list without casting any base
address of anything.

With aligned storage, that type information seems to be unavailable, at
least in a trivial way, for the debugger, thus the cast.

Are there so many cases where one uses aligned storage or a similar
facility that this kind of debug-time cast is really common?

BTW, is there any way for the debugger to know automatically what the
type the storage should be cast to?

Curiously,
Nowhere man

--