From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-27 00:13:42

Bill Lear wrote:

> Is there any way at all to fix this? I have run a profiler on the
> Intel code and it simply seems to be "doing more" than the non-Intel
> version (more comparison operators, chiefly).

There are two way so approach an problem like this:

a) Try to work around it.
b) Try to fix it.

My approach as a library user is to first try a) and often that does
the trick.

Well, you've tried a) and it turns out that it isn't easy. At some
point one has to concede that the work around is going to be
more painful than trying to fix the problem.

I think you've come to that point.

So I would go back to the profiler. It would seem that something
is being called way to often. I would try starting up the debugger
and putting a trap in that something. Then check the backtrace
to see what's going on. That is you're basically debugging the
STL implementation. This should reveal what one might do
to fix this. For example, its possible that for some reason
the lookup is just very slow and having more entries iin the
static tables make taht worse. I would hope that this kind
of sleuthing would reveal the exact place to fix the problem
once an for all.

I'm sorrty I can't give you a better answer. But sometimes
thate is no other. If you do find this, let us know so we
can roll it into the library.

Robert Ramey
.