From: Bill Lear (rael_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-27 08:59:38

On Monday, June 26, 2006 at 21:13:42 (-0700) Robert Ramey writes:
>Bill Lear wrote:
>I'm sorrty I can't give you a better answer. But sometimes
>thate is no other. If you do find this, let us know so we
>can roll it into the library.

Not a problem. I did do some quick profiling and all I found was that
"operator <" was at the top of the list for the Intel compiler, but
not for gcc. I'll see if I can gather more info.

I'm curious: for object tracking, do all objects that are tracked by
pointer get put into the same STL collection (I think it's a set)?
This may sound crazy: but would it be possible to use a templated set
based on the object type: so if I have 6,000 types of objects, I have
6,000 relatively small sets, instead of one set? I was just thinking
that there is no point in saving all pointers in one set (aside from
simplicity, a big reason of course). Perhaps this is just a red
herring, but if that were possible, for very large data sets (we have
HUUUUGE data sets), this might significantly improve performance. I'm
sure it would be TRIVIAL to try this out:-).

Next question: after serializing the object and destroying all of the
archive variables, does boost get rid of all of the data structures with
object pointers? So, if I do:

   {
       ofstream ofs("file", ios::binary);

       text_oarchive in(ifs);

       in << object;
   }

when the scope exits, is the set tracking the object pointers
destroyed?

Thanks for all of your help.

Bill