From: Sascha Lumma (s.lumma_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-03 14:39:48

Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
> Sascha Lumma(e)k dio:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I noticed that kernel 2.6 is a requirement for shmem on linux. Is it
>> possible to get shmem to run - maybe with constraints - together with
>> kernel 2.4 and the older pthread version (linuxthreads)? A start on a
>> kernel 2.4 box produces a segmentation fault in shared_memory.hpp.
>> To reach most users as possible, it would be nice to be compatible or if
>> not possible to get as a minimum a normal termination.
>>
>> Sascha Lumma
>>

> Sorry, 2.4 has no process-shared primitives, and it's not a priority to
> emulate them. If anyone wants to contribute them, they are welcome ;-)
>
> I agree that process-crash is not an correct result, but could you
> investigate what's happening? Maybe an exception is being thrown when
> constructing a process shared mutex and that should be a correct error
> report, IMHO.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ion

Thank you for the reply.

The way i get this segmentation fault is just that i want to
open_or_create a segment with the following statement.

if (!segment.open_or_create(SHMNAME,SHMMAX,(void*)0x30000000))
{ .....

In function shared_memory::GlobalNamedScopedMutex::acquire() sem_open
(line 534) returns 0 and not -1 like expected in this case and
sem_wait() gets this zero pointer as parameter.

Sorry for the really short posting without any information for you. I
want to improve myself ;-)

Sascha