From: Johan Nilsson (r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-25 02:19:29

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> Up to using NAnt that sounds pretty much like what I want to do. Right
> now I'm pretty much just having CC.NET do the build via the Dev Studio
> command line interface. We are still on .NET 2003 right now but the
> 2005 disks should be here next week.
>
> What does using NAnt buy you that CC.NET doesn't have?
>
> Do you have CC.NET do anything with the results of the unit tests, I.E
> have it display the tests/test_suites run, have it display errors and
> maybe even notify when people when test fail? I know that Boost.Test
> can produce xml output but I don't know how to begin to have CC.NET
> consume it.

We've only been using regular CruiseControl (the Java-based variant), but
have integrated support for Boost.Test output. I don't know if it applies to
CC.NET as well.

What you basically need to do is to:

1. Generate the test logs in junit-compatible (or perhaps Nunit in your
case) XML format
2. Merge them with the 'grand' XML log

And it should work.

Issue (1) above was the main problem, as the Boost.Test XML format isn't
identical to junit's. There's a couple of ways around this. We solved that
by creating our own variant of the Merge task, which also took an XSL
template as argument. This XSL template is use to transform the logs into a
format understandable by CC. There's also the possibility to use the Ant
"xsl" task, but that didn't really fit our requirements. Finally, you could
create you own specialized xml outputter for Boost.Test.

We've used this approach to integrate CppUnit XML output as well. Can't make
the actual templates available in public though (sorry).

HTH // Johan