From: Nat Goodspeed (ngoodspeed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-06 11:56:32

[Nat] Usually one wouldn't create a thread and then immediately join()
it. The net effect of that would seem to be an expensive function call.

Usually if you want a new thread to run in parallel with the thread that
created it, you let both threads run for a while before one thread
attempts to join() the other.