From: MikeW (mw_phil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-21 04:14:51

Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:

> MikeW wrote:
> > Thanks, but boost_1_33_1 is distributed with a 'configure' file,
> > and it should be possible to set options on this to get a cross-build.
>
> What makes you think it "should be possible"? The configure script is
> just a thin shell around the bjam commands. And by thin I mean it does
> not support all, or even many, of the build options possible when using
> bjam directly. Although technically you could setenv all the above
> variables James mentions, and then run configure+make.

Thank you, I must admit I had come to that conclusion.

When I said "should be possible" I suppose I was expressing dissatisfaction
with the extent to which the existing configure script supported the underlying
bjam options.

OK, I know, "if it doesn't suit you - write your own" !

I realise that the GNU build system is just one out of the many
configuations that Boost attempts to support, I just wish it paid
more than lip-service to it, since it appeared to build happily
under my ARM-configured Buildroot setup ... except that the built
libraries were all "arch=i386" ;-)

Maybe as more people try to use Boost under the GNU build rather than
as a command-line bjam build, this aspect will improve.
Time pressures mean I won't be able to do this at the moment, will
just have to hack in a command-line bjam build (or set env the lot ?)

Regards,
Mike