From: Timmo Stange (ts_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-06 15:43:42

Frank Mori Hess wrote:

> I've made some minor changes to shared_ptr.hpp and
> enable_shared_from_this.hpp as a proof of concept (diffs against boost
> 1.32 attached). It appears to work beautifully. The "real thing" would
> also take steps to make sure the postconstructor only gets called once
> (maybe in a "postconstructible" class derived from
> enable_shared_from_this. And the virtual function that is called in
> enable_shared_from_this might want a less specific name than
> postconstruct.
>
> Peter, is there any chance a change like this could get put in shared_ptr?

I don't think adding polymorphism to something as widely used as
enable_shared_from_this is an option. An alternative would be a
smart pointer for exclusive use to track bound slot objects. That
would also allow direct notification of the slot when the reference
count drops to zero. The downside is again (actually worse than with
trackable) that the entire client code must be made aware of the
tracking.

Regards

Timmo Stange