From: Oliver.Kowalke_at_[hidden]
Date: 2007-02-06 15:51:09

Hi Andreas,

Your solution will not work in my application. I use an io-framework
which has some requirements that could not be fullfilled with the
creation process of an asynchronous_state_machine.

asynchronous_state_machine is derived from state_machine - does this
mean that asynchronous_state_machine provides only a thread-safe access
to state_machine (acts as a wrapper)?

In my application I've three event sources (io-device, UNIX-signal
handler, trigger which periodically produces events). Each event source
runs in ist own thread. I could use a state_machine and synchronize the
insertion of events (process_event() function) via a mutex. Would
asynchronous_state-machine provide a preformance benfit in this case?

Would it be an adequat solution to queue the events from the three event
sources in a thread-safe queue (producer-consumer pattern)?
The threads providing events act as producer threads) and should not be
blocked and the processing of the events (calling
state_machine::process_event()) will be done snychronous (maybe by one
consumer thread).

Regards,Oliver