From: Joshua ChaitinPollak (jpollak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-07 14:30:34

Hello,

I have a question about Boost.Thread. I am trying to create a class
which upon instantiation creates a thread based upon itself, and then
on destruction, stops the thread and cleans up after itself. A simple
example is below. Is this possible, and if not, what alternatives do
I have?

The reason for this is to create a single external API (actually
defined in a base class), and still have a background thread (hidden
from the API) which can share that object's internal member variables.

I'm looking to do something like this:

class my_handler {
public:
    boost::thread* background_thread;