From: abir basak (abirbasak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-19 01:38:52

shunsuke wrote:
> abir basak wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am having a few containers whose some portion I want to refer to
>> another class (sometime I need to refer to a continuous portion, while
>> sometime need a non-continuous portion) .
>> At present I have written all of these myself. But wondering if a few
>> portion can be substituted by some boost library.
>>
>> Just to make the concept clear, I am elaborating the structure and why
>> it is done in that way.
>> In the program it takes the user handwriting (as entered using digital
>> pen etc) and analysis them.
>> as user writes, I register points (x,y coord) and put them in an deque
>> (in actual case I am using boost::circular_buffer_space_optimized ).
>>
>> Now, a second deque (or other container) stores another structure Trace,
>> which has 2 index pointing start & end of that continuous writing until
>> pen up occurs. These have to be 2 index rather than iterator, as
>> iterator may get (and usually gets ) invalidated while more points are
>> added in the point deque. Thus Trace refers deque<Point>
>> Now from the trace structure I return the points for the trace
>> (boost::sub_range ) using the 2 index and the deque (i.e from
>> deque<Point> get iterator, add index as offset , make sub_range and
>> return).
>> Now these are the continues portions , referred by 2 index.
>> Next, some such things can be even not continuous. In that case I store
>> all index to which it points (in a vector ) and return a sub_range kind
>> of structure (named index_range ) which takes these index and a
>> container, and iterates over it jumping by those specific offsets.
>>
>> Example can be a Character class which refers some of those traces , not
>> necessarily continuous (like user writes a dot much later than the i ,
>> thus Character i contains index of the vertical stroke of the i & dot )
>>
>> Similarly more hierarchy are constructed, like Trace => Page, and
>> Character => Word => Line => Paragraph => Page etc.
>>
>> Most of them contains 2 index and with the help of the container returns
>> a boost sub_range , while some contains a vector of index (size_t) and
>> returns index_range (created by me) .
>>
>> So far I found it is the ONLY way to create a level of hierarchy/ view
>> from different set of dynamic data. (The other can be storing everything
>> as a pointer in the container, and creating by new, in that case no
>> problem arises as the objects are not movable, but in C++ it is quite
>> bad solution)
>>
>> A Graphical representation is like,
>> =============== deque<Point> =====================
>> <=remove old data => add new data
>> | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
>> =============== deque<Trace> ====================
>> | 1 | 2 |
>> =============== deque<Page> =====================
>>
>> These are for continuous data (i.e 2 index struct & boost::sub_range )
>>
>> ================ deque<Trace> ====================
>> |1,3,4| 2 | 5,6 | 7,9 | 8 | ...
> [...]
It is better if I try to post some code to show what I exactly trying to do.
( I am trying to capture digital pen input and create a hierarchical
structure from it )
///This is a range (2 point index, which can create 2 iterators with the
///help of the container, I am using boost::sub_range for that )
typedef std::pair<std::size_t,std::size_t> range_t;

///This is a multi index range allows iterate over a few specific index
///on a container , used with my index_range and container. (for
///simplicity now it uses vector, it can be any container )
typedef std::vector<size_t> index_t;

///The index range. iterates over the specific position on the container
///a simplified version to show the concept. It has const correctness
///and all other functions that sub_range has. It takes container &
///index vector unlike iterators in boost::sub_range.
template<typename C>
class index_range{
public:
        typedef C container_type;
        typedef typename C::iterator iterator;
        typedef typename C::reference reference;
        typedef typename C::pointer pointer;
        typedef typename C::size_type size_type;
private:
   index_t index_;
        C& c_;
        size_type pos_;
public:
        index_range(C& c,index_t index) : c_(c),index_(index) , pos_(0){}
        size_type size()const { return index_.size();}
        reference operator[](size_type pos) { return c_[ index_[pos] ] };
        reference front() { return c_[index_[0] ] ;}
        reference back() { return c_[index_[size()-1]] ; }
        reference operator++(){
                return c_[index_ [ pos_ ++] ] ;
        }
};
///The point comes as user input through digital pen
struct point{
        int x;
        int y;
        point(int _x,int _y) : x(_x),y(_y){}
};
typedef std::deque<point> point_buffer;
typedef boost::sub_range<point_buffer> point_range;

///The buffer of points.
point_buffer points;

///trace a continuous user writing, until pen up. points a portion
///of point_buffer
struct trace{
        range_t range;
        point_range get_points() {
                return
boost::make_iterator_range(points.begin()+range.first,points.begin()+range.second);
        }
};

typedef std::deque<trace> trace_buffer;
typedef boost::sub_range<trace_buffer> trace_range;
typedef index_range<trace_buffer> trace_index_range;
///buffer for traces.
trace_buffer traces;

///a page contains a set of traces.
struct page{
        range_t range;
        trace_range get_traces(){
                return
boost::make_iterator_range(traces.begin()+range.first,traces.begin()+range.second);
        }
};

///a word contains a few discrete traces, may not be continuous to
///represent by 2 index. But 2 word may not contain same trace. i.e
///common way of writing, but 2 or more character may contain same trace
//(like cursive writing)
struct word{
        index_t index;
        trace_index_range get_traces(){
     return index_range<trace_buffer>(traces,index);
        }
};
A few additional things do happen, like each container keeps track of
how many elements had been removed, to translate properly from index to
iterator.

So there are 3 library I am searching,
1) Index -> iterator , and iterator -> index conversion
(I know that 2 famous facts in STL that iterator doesn't know container
and their position, but that is only applicable for pointers . There is
no harm to know this facts from iterator. and thus some library can do
to-from conversion between iterator & index position , or better
sub_range & pair<index_t,index_t> any library ?
2) a library like index_range, which hops over a container (random
access preferably ) adding an user specified offset to the iterator
position
3) an utility which allows to refer a portion (or some portions ) of a
container to be stored ( i.e store by index & return by iterator )
inside another class , using the above two library ....

and sorry for being late, I was out of station for last 2 days ...

any help or suggestion is appreciated ...

--
Abir Basak, Member IEEE
B. Tech, IIT Kharagpur