From: gast128 (gast128_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-05 11:36:49

David Abrahams <dave <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:

Hello David,

> > Another item is that I think that one of the rationales is that it is
cleaner
> > to write code like:
> >
> > void Foo()
> > {
> > try
> > {
> > //write logic
> > }
> > catch ()
> > {
> > //write exception case(s)
> > }
> > }
>
> Rationales, for what? Cleaner than what?

this is more or less my interpretation of chapter 14 of Stroustrup's book 'The
C++ programming language'.

> It's almost impossible to write reasonable programs when you have to
> "consider that one of the xxx objects can 'become' corrupt."
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/msg/659b9db50f587dab
> I don't know why anyone would do that. Which employee has 'become'
> corrupt here, and how does the above code supposedly help? It seems
> to just eat exceptions and mask errors, nothing more.

In a way it is. One can think of let the progam just continue its work, but a
repair action must be scheduled the next time. This can be defensive or make
things worse depending on the problem context.

wkr,
me