From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-28 21:59:21

on Wed Mar 28 2007, "Kelly Burkhart" <kelly.burkhart-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings, I have downloaded the latest RC from cvs and am trying to
> build on Linux and Windows without success. Could someone nudge me in
> the right direction?
>
> On Linux (SuSE 10.1 x86-64), I've done this:
>
> cd ~/downloads/boost/rc_1_34_0_nearing_release
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost co
> -rRC_1_34_0 -P boost
> cd boost
> cd tools/jam/src/
> . ./build.sh
> cd ../../../
>
> I then created a user-config.jam file that looks like this:
>
> # Compiler configuration
> using gcc : : : <compileflags>-DBOOST_SIGNALS_NAMESPACE=tb_signals ;
>
> # Python configuration
> using python : 2.4 : /usr ;

Looks OK, but it's better to pass a command that invokes your python
interpreter in the 3rd argument instead of /usr.

> Why is python not found? I've used the following 'using python' lines
> in user-config.jam without success:
>
> using python ;
> using python : 2.4 ;
> using python : 2.4 : /usr ;
> using python : 2.4 : /usr/bin/python ;

Pass --debug-configuration to bjam and look at the [python-cfg] lines.

> Similar steps on Windows (VS.net 2003), user-config.jam looks like this:
>
> # Compiler configuration
> using msvc : : : <compileflags>-DBOOST_SIGNALS_NAMESPACE=tb_signals ;
>
> # Python configuration
> using python : 2.5 : c:\python25 ;

You need to escape your backslashes.

> I've also tried:
>
> using python : 2.5 : c:\python25\python.exe ;
>
> Build command:
>
> C:\...>tools\jam\src\bin.ntx86\bjam.exe --build-dir=..\boost_build
> --prefix=c:\Boost
> Warning: "using python" expects a two part (major, minor) version
> number; got Python25 instead

This makes it look like you didn't accurately copy your "using python"
line above.

> warning: No working Python interpreter found.
> warning: falling back to "python"
> Warning: "using python" expects a two part (major, minor) version
> number; got 0 instead
> Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
> Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
> (don't panic: this is a strictly optional feature).
> ^C
>
> I'm sure there is some trivial thing I'm not doing correctly, however
> I'm not able to see it in the getting started pages. Is there some
> building_boost_for_non_bjam_gurus.html file that I'm not seeing?

The instructions for building Boost.Python with BBv2 are still being
written. Thanks for your patience.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting