From: Kelly Burkhart (kelly.burkhart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-28 10:57:42

Greetings, I have downloaded the latest RC from cvs and am trying to
build on Linux and Windows without success. Could someone nudge me in
the right direction?

On Linux (SuSE 10.1 x86-64), I've done this:

cd ~/downloads/boost/rc_1_34_0_nearing_release
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost co
-rRC_1_34_0 -P boost
cd boost
cd tools/jam/src/
. ./build.sh
cd ../../../

I then created a user-config.jam file that looks like this:

# Compiler configuration
using gcc : : : <compileflags>-DBOOST_SIGNALS_NAMESPACE=tb_signals ;

# Python configuration
using python : 2.4 : /usr ;

And then ran:

> ./tools/jam/src/bin.linux/bjam --prefix=/opt/boost --build-dir=../build_dir stage
Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(don't panic: this is a strictly optional feature).
warning: Python location is not configured
warning: the Boost.Python library won't be built
warning: No toolsets are configured.
warning: Configuring default toolset "gcc".
warning: If the default is wrong, you may not be able to build C++ programs.
warning: Use the "--toolset=xxxxx" option to override our guess.
warning: For more configuration options, please consult
warning: http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/advanced/configuration.html
<I interrupted build here>

Why is python not found? I've used the following 'using python' lines
in user-config.jam without success:

using python ;
using python : 2.4 ;
using python : 2.4 : /usr ;
using python : 2.4 : /usr/bin/python ;

Similar steps on Windows (VS.net 2003), user-config.jam looks like this:

# Compiler configuration
using msvc : : : <compileflags>-DBOOST_SIGNALS_NAMESPACE=tb_signals ;

# Python configuration
using python : 2.5 : c:\python25 ;

I've also tried:

using python : 2.5 : c:\python25\python.exe ;

Build command:

C:\...>tools\jam\src\bin.ntx86\bjam.exe --build-dir=..\boost_build
--prefix=c:\Boost
Warning: "using python" expects a two part (major, minor) version
number; got Python25 instead
warning: No working Python interpreter found.
warning: falling back to "python"
Warning: "using python" expects a two part (major, minor) version
number; got 0 instead
Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(don't panic: this is a strictly optional feature).
^C

I'm sure there is some trivial thing I'm not doing correctly, however
I'm not able to see it in the getting started pages. Is there some
building_boost_for_non_bjam_gurus.html file that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

-K