From: Radu-Adrian Popescu (rpopescu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-22 09:52:58

Hello,

My 2c: I've found that the easiest way to do this is to use blocking
reads. I'm not sure whether you can get any performance benefit by not
using blocking reads; I kind of doubt it. Also using blocking reads
simplifies things _a lot_, since all you have to do is:
1) read a known number of bytes that tells you how many more you have to read
2) read as many bytes as resulted at step 1)

I'd reserve at least the first two bytes of the message for the size -
you may want to send messages larger than 256 bytes.

Since the requirement is for binary messages, from Aaron's email 1.A
is not applicable, while 1.B complicates things needlessly, having to
use escape characters and such.

Hope this helps,
Radu